Sunday, June 1, 2008

Do you give a damn?

Do you really? It’s quite odd, we probably ignore this question. The truth is, we’d love to rush into a “yes, I mean, come on..” . Why ask something that would create doubt? This question was for me to confront reality. Reviewing my month, the answer was no. I cared about me. And it reflected in my performance. I didn’t care. My coaching wasn’t powerful, I wasn’t helping anybody, and I definitely wasn’t helping myself.

The one thing I’ve heard through the last couple of days involved one getting stuck in shifting a person’s performance. The real question is do you care enough to make it happen? Is his life important to you? Is his breakthrough important to you? If a family member were in trouble, wouldn’t you find a way to deal with the issue regardless of the circumstance?

Producing breakthroughs for your people start and end with an unshakeable stand. When stuck in shifting a team’s performance, your stand is probably missing. The good news is we generally do care. Asking yourself that question just reminds you to. Do you care?

No comments: